VUEPOINT is a series of articles and discussions specifically for blood bankers. Many of them represent follow-up lab and technical work that we perform based on your input and reactions. Our goal is to bring you important information in a way that is easy to understand, quick to access and helpful in your work. Please feel free to email me with any question, comments or suggestions, or post your COMMENT at the end of this VUEPOINT.
An interview with Robert A. DeSimone, MD as published in Medical Lab Management, July/August 2017
In this article by Transfusion Medicine Fellow, Dr. Robert A. DeSimone, he shares his experience with a small pilot study conducted at the New York Blood Center, and answers critical questions such as:
- What are the risks and benefits of accepting and reissuing returned blood cell concentrates?
- What has been the historical procedure when considering acceptance of RBCs without temperature maintenance?
- What are the weaknesses with the 30-minute rule?
- What method would you recommend the lab follow for accepting returned blood products?
- What implications does your study have for blood bank practice?
The article may also be viewed online at Medical Lab Management.
Visit us at AABB booth #2447 to learn more about Safe-T-Vue temperature sensitive indicators for blood products.